This is a free monthly series presented by OSHA Authorized Trainer and ERC Course Director, Alba Vazquez, that will discuss safety topics and have a focus on how to be compliant with Cal/OSHA. This series will have a variety of different topics each month.
Check back for new topics and register for each month to receive a link. This series will be hosted the first Friday of every month, unless noted.
If you would like to receive CEU’s after attending a live session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a certificate. You must attend at least 90% of the session to receive accreditation.
December 1st – The Do’s and Don’t’s of Safety During the Holiday Season
- Understand the 2 most common non-compliance safety issues during this holiday season that can take place in any California organization.
- Discuss 3 different ways of dealing with COVID and other common flu-like illnesses at work.
- Plan for 2024 and prepare a safety training calendar and curriculum
November 3, 2023- Tips to Update Your Emergency Response at Work
- Understand what is required in the California regulation regarding Emergency Action Plans
- Mention at least 3 things that are causing your employees to respond to an emergency the wrong way
- Describe at least 2 action items to improve your emergency response at work
- Identify elements of employee training
October 6, 2023- Safety Compliance Issues You Should Know About
- List at least 3 of the key Cal/OSHA requirements that safety consultants don’t want you to know
- Describe the top 5 safety issues that cause organizations to be out of compliance with OSHA laws
- The key to improving the safety culture of your Organization and getting both management commitment and employee involvement
September 1, 2023- How to improve safety at the workplace with JSAs (Job Safety Analysis)
- Understand the important of using tools such as JSA or JHAs to reduce the amount of injuries and illnesses at work
- Describe the steps when conducting a JSA or JHA
- Review resources to include current software, video tutorials, and others to improve your skills when conducting JSAs
August 4, 2023- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): The overlooked safety issue in the workplace
- Describe two of the most common safety violations related to PPE for California organizations
- Mention the new proposed rule by OSHA (published July 20th) regarding PPE and how to use this to improve your safety program
- Understand the required PPE certification form and why most employers fail to comply with this portion of the regulation
July 7, 2023- How to Avoid Cal/OSHA Fines in 2023
- Mention at least 3 different safety training topics that are usually overlooked by most organizations
- Describe the importance of training documentation and what it should include in case your organization is visited by Cal/OSHA
- Understand the importance of Cal/OSHA compliant safety training and the right way to do it.
June 2, 2023- Defensive Driving: The Safety Topic You Should Update For Your Organization!
- Mention at least two different ways to update your defensive driving course or employee training program
- Describe at least 3 different defensive driving tactics and practices that should be included in your organization’s training sessions
- List 3 reasons for collisions on the road and how to improve your incident rate
- Find resources for defensive driving courses and more
May 5, 2023- Stress at Work: A Hazard Worth Mitigating
- Discuss up-to-date statistics including fatality rates due to stress at work
- Enumerate work-related stressors that may be taking a toll on your employees and their home life
- Mention at least 3 practical solutions that you can implement to lower stress at work
- Provide a list of resources and discuss other possible solutions
April 7, 2023- News from Cal/OSHA: Safety Topics to Improve Compliance
- Mention 3 of the most recent Cal/OSHA updates and news for employers and organizations in California
- Get updates from Cal/OSHA on a regular basis and discuss tips for keeping updated and compliant according to your organization’s needs
- Discuss how to navigate the Cal/OSHA website and use consultation as a resource for compliance
March 3, 2023- How to Prepare a Workplace Violence Plan for Your Organization
- List the types of organizations in California that are mandated to have a Workplace Violence Plan in place
- Describe the elements of an anti-bullying policy and how it relates to your Workplace Violence Program
- Review the Cal/OSHA requirements for organizations regarding Workplace Violence policies and programs
February 3, 2023- Top Cal/OSHA Cited Safety Issues of 2022
- Discuss the 10 Top Most Cited safety issues in the workplace
- Review real life case scenarios to identify at least 3 practical solutions to improve safety compliance in your organization
- Enlist resources for the safety manager in order to prioritize and solve safety issues at their specific locations
January 6, 2023- Fire Prevention. The issues that will get you on fire!
- Learn the most common mistakes made by organizations regarding their fire prevention programs
- Discuss the elements of a compliant Fire prevention program in California and where to get help/information
- Review 3 of the most important elements for fire prevention and make emphasis on how to train employees to respond in case of a fire
- Determine if hands-on training for portable fire extinguisher is required for California organizations and employers
December 2, 2022: What’s New Regarding the Bloodborne Pathogens (BBP) Requirements in California
- Understand the importance of bloodborne pathogens training for all types of industries, and not just healthcare
- Enlist 3 of the changing technologies that will help you with your mandated annual Exposure Control Plan review
- Discuss the requirements for general industry in comparison to those (more extensive) within the healthcare community
November 4, 2022: Lock Out – Tag Out, Working Safely with Machinery and Equipment
- Understand the importance of the Lock Out – Tag Out (LOTO) safety regulation and the reason why it is one of the most cited safety standards in general and construction industries
- Review real-life examples of serious injuries suffered by workers due to the lack of specific LOTO procedures
- Reassess training programs for LOTO in order to provide effective training for “affected” and “authorized” employees and what this means in real practice
October 14, 2022: Injury and Illness Prevention Programs – Why is Cal/OSHA still citing so many organizations?
- Understand the top 3 citations for employers related to their Injury and Illness Prevention Program
- List two different methods to start implementing what Cal/OSHA calls “an effective” IIPP and avoid getting cited
- Discussing the “document request” and records you must have available today in case of an OSHA inspection
September 2, 2022: Emergency Preparedness: Is Your Facility Ready for an Emergency Disaster?
- List the requirements of an Emergency Action Plan per current Cal/OSHA regulations
- Explain the importance of preparing for all types of emergencies that can occur at your places of employment and the tools to make your own list
- Understand the top 3 elements of emergency preparedness that will make a difference when responding to an emergency at work
August 5, 2022: Cal/OSHA and Temporary Workers – What your company should do when using staffing agencies or PEOs
- Comprehend the difference between “dual employment” and “multi-employer situations under Cal/OSHA’s definitions and why it matters for purposes of citations and penalties
- Reviewing some of the most common types of injuries amongst temporary workers and what happens when a temporary worker gets hurt under your supervisor’s watch
- Understand who is responsible for training, providing PPE and recording on the OSHA logs when dealing with temporary workers
- Mention two ways to recognize fall hazards at your fixed and non-fixed places of employment
- Review the portable Ladder safety and the Cal/OSHA training requirements
- Discuss requirements for passive and active fall protection systems