Incident Investigation and Reporting

OCT 2022 - Incident Investigation is the key for the prevention of future incidents at work and the improvement of your overall safety program.

Safety can and must be managed. OSHA estimates that only 2% of all work incidents are non-preventable. The rest (98%) must be investigated so that that similar or same incidents do not occur again.

In this two day course, we will provide the tools for your designated personnel (managers and supervisors) to conduct appropriate incident investigation for the prevention of at work injuries, illness and disease.



1. Incident Investigation: The Basics

  • Why call it an incident instead of an “Accident”
  • Incident types
  • Why do we conduct an Incident Investigation?
  • Incident Investigation Programs that work
  • When OSHA conducts Incident Investigation:
    1. Case scenarios
    2. The fines
    3. Avoiding citations, penalties and fines

2. When bad things happen to good employers: Initiating the Investigation

  • Securing the scene
  • When to start your incident investigation
  • Reporting Incidents to OSHA
    1. Reporting Vs Recording
    2. What should I report?

3. Methods for Documenting the Incident Scene

  • Personal Observations
  • Getting initial statements and taking pictures
  • Taking video and sketching a scene
  • Interviewing your records

4. Conducting Effective Interviews

  • The Interview Process
  • Preparing for the interview: Who should be interviewed?
  • Bad interview Vs Good interview role-play scenario

5. Conducting Event Analysis

  • Surface Cause vs. Root cause
  • Using the “Multiple Event” theory to prevent future incidents
  • Developing the sequence of events
  • Sample sequence of events

6. Root Cause Analysis

  • Difference between surface and root causes
  • Describing direct causes
  • Sample tools for Root cause Analysis
  • System Analysis

7. Developing Solutions and Recommendations

  • How to get upper management’s support
  • OSHA’s hierarchy of controls
  • Recommending system improvements
  • The “6 Question” approach for developing solutions and recommendations
  • Direct and Indirect costs of Incidents
  • Safety Pays!

8. Writing the Report

  • Order and sections of the report
  • Important sections of the Report

9. Practical Application

  • Case scenarios
  • Role playing and explanation to the group
*Subject to modification



Other Registration Options

Register by phone:
310 206-2304

Email Us:

Mail in:
650 Charles E. Young Dr. South 61-279
Los Angeles, CA 90095


Payment Terms

(rev. 11/6/09):

Substitutions may be made without additional charge. Cancellations must be in writing. Refund schedule:

  • Cancellation 15 or more business days before the class 80% of registration fee
  • Cancellation 7-14 business days before the class 50%
  • Cancellation less than 7 days before the class and "no shows" No refund

If course materials such as books have been sent to course participants in advance, the cost of that material will be subtracted from the refund.

UCLA reserves the right to postpone an offering 7 days prior to the course date should minimum enrollment requirements not be met. If a program is canceled, you will be notified and your registration fee will be refunded in full, less the cost of course materials sent in advance if they are not returned in the condition in which they were received. The liability of UCLA is limited to the course fee.