The UC Irvine Center for Occupational and Environmental Health and Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine provides training in Environmental Health Sciences, culminating with the award of the master’s degrees of science or doctor of philosophy degrees in one of two tracks, Environmental Toxicology and Exposure Science and Risk Assessment. The program is jointly sponsored by the UC Irvine Program in Public Health.
The Environmental Health Sciences program provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary and appropriate to teach and/or conduct basic and applied research programs in inhalation/pulmonary toxicology, biochemical neurotoxicology, reproductive and developmental toxicology, chemical pathology, toxicokinetics, radiation toxicology, molecular carcinogenesis, environmental epidemiology, exposure sciences and risk assessment.
Toxicology involves the scientific study of the entry, distribution, biotransformation and mechanism of the action of chemical agents that are harmful to the body. The graduate program interprets environmental toxicology as the study of the effects and mechanisms of action of hazardous chemicals in food, air, water and soil in the home, the workplace and the community. It also considers experimentally and theoretically such diverse research problems as:
- New scientific approaches to toxicological evaluation of environmental chemicals such as air and water pollutants, food additives, industrial wastes and agricultural adjuvants at the molecular, cellular and organism levels;
- New approaches to the evaluation of human exposures to environmental chemicals;
- Mechanisms of action in chemical toxicity;
- The molecular pathology of tissue injury in acute toxicity;
- Scientific principles involved in evaluating risks to human health from environmental exposures.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT [top]
Ulrike Luderer, MD, PhD, MPH
Director, Environmental Health Sciences Graduate Program
Center for Occupational and Environmental Health
University of California, Irvine
100 Theory, Suite 100
Irvine CA 92617